Bread & Butter Pickles
5 lebanese cucumbers
1 brown onion
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 Tbsp salt (6g)
375ml Apple cider vinegar
215g sugar (1 cup)
2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp Coriander seeds
1g small green pepper (medium heat like Jalapeno, tiger skin/cheongyang)
1 knob of fresh turmeric, sliced thinly (1 tsp of dry will also work)
1 Bay leaf
- Slice your cucumbers, about 1cm thick
- Toss your cucumber in salt and let them hang in a sieve or colander to allow the salt to draw out moisture and help the pickles keep their crunch.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, toast your mustard and coriander seeds until fragrant.
- Add apple cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Slice your green pepper lengthwise and your garlic and onion thinly. Combine them with your drained cucumber slices in a heat safe bowl or airtight container.
- Pour over your vinegar mixture, give it a stir and allow it to cool down to room temperature before sealing it and letting it rest in the fridge overnight.
- Keep them in the fridge and these pickles will last months as long as they are submerged in the liquid.
- Bring them out to accompany smoked and braised meats.