HCB Ice Cream Sando
4 Choc Rum Hot Cross buns
1 small tub of your favourite ice cream
2 large knobs of butter
160g Milk Chocolate buttons
110g Pouring cream
100g Crushed Pecans (or your favorite nut or seed)
50g Castor Sugar
1g salt (2 finger pinch)
20 ml Water
- Place cream into saucepan and bring to a simmer
- Pour over Chocolate buttons. Whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- Set in the fridge and allow to cool down while preparing the rest.
- Bring water, sugar and salt to the boil stirring constantly.
- Add pecans and coat with sugar mixture over high heat.
- As the water evaporates stir vigorously and with a wooden spoon, while shaking the pan gently back and forth. The pecans will start to develop a powdery coating and dry out.
- Remove from heat and place in a tray or bowl to cool down. Once cool, the candied pecans can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for weeks.
Hot Cross Buns
- Slice the top off of your Hot cross buns to create a flat top. Slice them evenly in half again and square off the edges or use a ring cutter to create little disks.
- Freeze on a tray for 30 minutes.
- Smear on a “healthy” amount of ganache on one side of each slice. Take care to spread evenly across the bun.
- Refreeze for 30 more minutes to set chocolate.
- Quickly spoon on your ice cream on one half and sandwich on your other piece. Use the back side of the spoon to smooth out the edges so they are mostly inline with the buns.
- Pop back in the freezer to set a little.
- Over medium heat-high, melt the butter until it foams and all of the water dissipates.
- Place your hot cross bun sandwich into the butter and toast until the edge is brown or you can start to see the ganache loosen (too much will result in a chocolatey mess!)
- Flip over and do the same to the other side.
- Roll the edges in candied pecans, serve and demolish immediately.