Hot Cross Bun Pudding
4 hot cross buns, stale and cubed
1 cup of brown sugar
5-6 egg whole eggs
Pinch of salt
300g full cream milk
Sprinkle of Castor sugar
Glass oven dish
Large oven proof dish, to create a water bath
- Pour your milk and cream into a saucepan and bring it up to a simmer. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Place brown sugar into a mixing bowl. Add eggs, pinch of salt, lemon zest and whisk to combine.
- Roughly chop hot cross buns into about 3cm chunks and place into baking dish.
- Once your cream mixture is simmering, pull off the stove and slowly whisk into your egg mixture.
- Pour over hot cross buns chunks.
- Leave to soak overnight in the fridge or for at least a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees, take hot cross bun dish out of fridge to return to room temperature.
- Boil 1L of water and fill your larger ovenproof dish to create a water bath. It should be ¾ of the way up the side of your pudding dish.
- Tightly cover both dishes with aluminium foil to trap in steam.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the pudding has just set and has a jello-like jiggle.
- Allow to cool a little, scoop out and enjoy with your favourite icecream!